Text Resize

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

Get Help With Your Utility Bills

DDOE helps eligible District residents pay heating and cooling bills. If you're eligible, you can receive between $250and $1,500 as a one-time Regular Energy Assistance benefit for your household. The amount of Regular Assistance is based on household size, total household income, heating source, and type of dwelling.

Emergency Energy Assistance is available to low-income District residents who have received a disconnection notice for electric or gas service, or are currently disconnected. Assistance is also available to residents without home heating oil.

How to Apply for Help:

Regular Assistance (Your electricity has not been disconnected)

  • Check the income guidelines below to make sure you qualify.
  • Set up an appointment by calling 311.

Emergency Assistance (Your electricity has been disconnected.)

  1. Come to one of our offices (an appointment is not necessary)
  2. Bring with you:
  • Your disconnection notice
  • Your most recent utility bills (or a copy)
  • Your government-issued ID
  • Proof of income for everyone in your home who receives income
  • Social security cards for everyone in your home

Office Locations

1207 Taylor St., NW
Washington, DC 20011

  • Bilingual (Spanish) staff on site
  • ADA Compliance
  • Interpreter services Available
  • Serving Wards 1,2,3,4, 5 & 6

2100 Martin Luther King, Jr. Ave., SE
Washington, DC 20020

  • Interpreter services Available
  • ADA Compliance
  • Serving Wards 6,7, & 8

Income Guidelines for FY 2015

Household Size Maximum Annual Income
1 $31,327
2 $40,967
3 $50,606
4 $60,245
5 $69,884
6 $79,523
7 $81,331
8 $83,138

For family units of more than 8 members, add $1,807.

Application Forms and More Information

For more information, please contact the DDOE Energy Office by calling 311.

LIHEAP Appeals Right 4.pdf138.66 KB
Contact TTY: