Text Resize

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

Energy Benchmarking Data Collection

Energy Meter

In order to benchmark your building(s) as required by law, you must collect energy and water consumption information along with information about how the space is used. This page describes the steps to data collection. (If you are a tenant, your requirements are described here.)

Identify the data you need

The District Data Collection Worksheets list all the information you must collect. The Instructions in the new Data Collection Worksheet detail how to comply and several changes being made for reporting of 2013 data. For a summary of requirements and compliance checklist, view this flyer from the DC Sustainable Energy Utility.

Identify Building ID

When reporting you must record your District of Coumbia Real Property Unique Identifier Number. (Last year, this DDOE guidance referred to this number as the Unique Building Identifier, or UBI.) Download a list of covered buildings and Real Property Unique IDs here. If you cannot find your ID, contact DDOE at info.benchmark@dc.gov. If you have previously reported benchmarking data to DDOE, you should find this new field pre-populated with the correct number(s).

Collect Tenant Data (if applicable)

In order to comply with the requirement to benchmark your building, you may have to request data from some or all of your non-residential tenants. The District Data Collection Worksheets list all the data you must collect; non-residential tenants are required by law (20 DCMR 3513.5) to provide you with access to this data within thirty (30) calendar days of receiving a request. You are not required to get any data from residential tenants.

You need to collect both space use and energy and water data for your tenants.

Collecting Space Use Data:

You must request the space use data in writing. You can do this using the “Non-Residential Tenant Information Form” created by DDOE, or another written method of your choosing.  DDOE created the “Non-Residential Tenant Information Form” as a word document so that an owner or manager can delete non-relevant content and insert their own content or letterhead as needed.

Collect Energy and Water Consumption Data:

To collect individual tenant energy and water data the tenant can complete and sign the Utility Account Information Data Release Form. This form authorizes the utility to provide consumption data to the requestor. DDOE has produced a single waiver form for all utilities; you can download the form as a stand-alone document or as Section B of the Non-Residential Tenant Information Form. Once filled out, provide copies of the form to all applicable utilities; contact information below. It can take up to 10 business days for the company to respond to your request.

If you have 5 or more electric user accounts, you can record all their meter numbers and provide that info to Pepco, using their Building Electricity Consumption Data Request Form. Pepco will provide consumption data, in the aggregate, by month and year, for service points and/or account numbers that are provided and will work to respond to these requests within thirty (30) calendar days. However, response time may vary depending on the volume of data requests and available resources. More information on Pepco’s website.

Beginning in 2014, whole-building electricity data will be required for all buildings, including multifamily residential.

Single Tenant Delegation

- Does your building have only one tenant?

- Do you manage an entire building that you are leasing from another party?

In these special cases, benchmarking responsibility may be delegated to the tenant. DDOE must be notified that this delegation is occurring. For more information, and to initiate the process, download the Single Tenant Delegation Model Letter.

Utility Contacts

Electricity: Contact Pepco Key Account Support Team:

Phone Inquiries: (202) 872-2040
Fax data requests to: (202) 872-3225
E-mail to: kast-south@pepco.com

Natural Gas: Contact Washington Gas

Phone: 703-750-4440
Fax utility waiver requests to: 1-877-620-0731

Water: Contact DC Water  

Phone: 202-787-2000

Other utilities, like fuel oil or propane:

Contact your supplier. Report delivery dates and amounts in Portfolio Manager with “0”s entered for months when no delivery was made.