District businesses selling food or alcohol are required to charge $.05 for each disposable paper or plastic carryout bag. Find out about DC's Bag Law.
Public Reports on Recycling
The District of Columbia is pleased to issue these Reports pursuant to D.C. Law 7-226, the “D.C. Solid Waste Management and Multi-Material Recycling Act of 1988”.
The reports present an overall evaluation of the recycling activities of the District of Columbia, including:
- an analysis of the overall success of the residential, commercial and District government building recycling programs in meeting the statutory recovery targets;
- an analysis of solid waste and recycling tonnage, cost, revenue;
- an evaluation of the District Government’s mandatory recycling program;
- updates on the District Government’s public education and outreach efforts;
- a progress report on enforcement activities; and
- information on sustainable practices, including - but not limited to - Environmental Preferable Purchasing (EPP) and new procurement policies and directives.