District businesses selling food or alcohol are required to charge $.05 for each disposable paper or plastic carryout bag. Find out about DC's Bag Law.
Underground Storage Tank Program
Through storage tank regulation, licensing, and enforcement, the Underground Storage Tank (UST) branch’s services protects human health and the environment from the adverse effects of petroleum, petroleum-related products and hazardous materials from USTs in the District of Columbia. This branch is organized into two programs: Underground Storage Tanks (UST) and Leaking Underground Storage Tanks (LUST).
Underground Storage Tanks- This program oversees the installation of new tanks, and the operation, maintenance, and closure of existing tanks.
- Forms, Guidance, and Public Documents: These documents help regulated entities and individuals understand and comply with District law related to USTs.
- Operator Training: UST operators in the District must take DDOE-approved training, which can be found here. Additionally, this link provides guidance for delivery training provider requirements and required training for Class A, B, and C Operators.
- Certifying UST Contractors: Individuals and businesses that perform underground storage tank removal, installation, testing, closure, and related work must be certified by DDOE.
Leaking Underground Storage Tanks- This program manages the cleanup of areas impacted by leaking tanks, ensuring that risks to human health and the environment are reduced and eliminated.
- Cleanup Standards: When remediating a site with a leaking tank, the site must meet certain cleanup standards.
- Voluntary Remediation Action Program (VRAP): VRAP assists entities that voluntarily seek to cleanup sites with leaking tanks.
- Forms, Guidance, and Public Documents: These documents assist regulated entities and individuals understand and comply with District law related to LUSTs.