District businesses selling food or alcohol are required to charge $.05 for each disposable paper or plastic carryout bag. Find out about DC's Bag Law.
Stormwater Retention Credit Trading Program
Properties generate Stormwater Retention Credits (SRCs) for voluntary green infrastructure that reduces stormwater runoff. Owners trade their SRCs in an open market to others who use them to meet regulatory requirements for retaining stormwater. Revenue creates incentives to install green infrastructure that protects rivers and provides other benefits.
This page provides resources on the SRC trading program. For full program details, view the Stormwater Management Guidebook and Stormwater Rule or contact Evan Branosky at (202) 535-2295 or email@example.com.
- Visit the SRC Registry for lists of SRCs for sale, final prices of trades and interested buyers.
- Create an account to login to the registry and apply to certify new SRCs or transfer, use and retire existing SRCs.
- Attend a training session and view eligibility requirements to further understand SRC trading.
- Press Release – DDOE Launches New Stormwater Database
- Press Release – District Recognized at International Climate Leadership Awards
- Press Release – DDOE Approves First Stormwater Retention Credit Trade
- Press Release – DDOE Certifies District’s First Stormwater Retention Credits
- Benefits of SRC Trading for District Waterbodies – article from Water Environment & Technology Magazine.
- SRC Trading and DC’s Stormwater Regulations – article from BioCycle Magazine.
- GIS Viewer for Impervious Areas in the District – shows impervious areas and is helpful for identifying areas that could be retrofitted with green infrastructure to generate SRCs. Contact DDOE for the underlying GIS files.
- Limitations on SRC generation by DDOE-funded projects – explains the limited ability to generate SRCs on projects funded through RiverSmart Homes, Communities and other DDOE-funded programs.
- Template SRC Trading Contract – includes a template contract that buyers and sellers may adapt and use for their SRC trades.
- Financial Analysis and Tools – periodically updated, includes analysis on the SRC market and tools to calculate the financial return of green infrastructure.