District businesses selling food or alcohol are required to charge $.05 for each disposable paper or plastic carryout bag. Find out about DC's Bag Law.
Energy Assistance and Weatherization
DDOE can help you with your energy and utility bills. We have financial assistance, discounts and late bill forgiveness programs.
Services for Low-Income Residents
- Help paying your utility bills (LIHEAP)
- Discounts on your utility bills (UDP)
- Help weatherizing your home (WAP)
ATTENTION LOW INCOME RESIDENTS!
If you are eligible to receive or currently receiving the “Residential Aid Discount” or “RAD” on your electric bill and are considering switching to an independent electric supplier (i.e. not PEPCO), you will likely LOSE most of your discount upon switching. Please call PEPCO BEFORE you switch to find out if you are eligible to receive or are currently receiving RAD so that you can make an informed decision whether to switch to an independent electric supplier.
Additional Resources for Residents:
- Additional Renewable Energy Resources for Residents
- Additional Energy Efficiency Resources for Residents
- Do-It-Yourself Home Energy Audits
- Energy Assistance Frequently Asked Questions
- Energy Efficiency Workshop and Kit
- EnergySmartDC Solar Initiative for Low-Income Residents
Additional Resources for Businesses:
- WAP State Plan for Fiscal Year 2015 – Weatherization Assistance Program
- District of Columbia Fiscal Year 2015 LIHEAP State Plan
- LIHEAP Public Hearing Register Notice
Get Ready to Take Control - Pepco Smart Meters
Get a new smart meter from Pepco to help you take control of the energy you use in your home each and every day.