District businesses selling food or alcohol will be charging $.05 for each disposable paper or plastic carryout bag. Find out about DC's Bag Law.
Discounts on Your Utility Bills
DDOE's Utility Discount Programs help low-income District residents reduce their utility costs. To qualify, your utility bills must be in your own name, and you must meet income guidelines (below) established by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
If you're eligible, you could receive discounts of:
- Up to $240 per year on your electric bills ($102 per year if you don't have electric heat).
- Up to $189 per year on your gas bills.
- Up to $276 per year on your water and sewer bills.
- Up to 50 percent off the cost of installing a single phone line.
- Local phone service for $3 per month ($1 per month for seniors over the age of 64).
- Call 311 to schedule an appointment.
- Fill out an application (available below)
- Take your completed application to either of the office locations below.
- Complete a short program that will show you how to save energy in your home.
- Processing of your application.
- Utility Discount Programs (UDP) Application (English and En Español) [PDF]
Call the District Department of the Environment's Energy Office at 311 between 8:30 am - 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday to make an appointment.
1207 Taylor Street,
W Washington, DC 20011
- Bilingual staff on site
- ADA Compliance
- Serving Wards 1,2,3,4, & 5
2100 Martin Luther King, Jr. Ave.
SE Washington, DC 20020
- Translation services provided
- ADA Compliance
- Wards 6,7, & 8
Income Guidelines for UDP
|Household Size||Maximum Annual Income|
For family units of more than 8 members, add $3,600.00