District businesses selling food or alcohol will be charging $.05 for each disposable paper or plastic carryout bag. Find out about DC's Bag Law.
Underground Storage Tanks - UST and LUST
Through storage tank regulation, licensing, and enforcement, DDOE protects human health and the environment from the adverse effects of petroleum, petroleum-related products and hazardous materials from underground storage tanks (USTs) and systems in the District of Columbia.
The District regulates tanks of more than 1,100 gallons containing heating oil for use on the premises. These tanks are not regulated by the federal government. Approximately 700 facilities in the District hold 1,000 USTs, including heating oil tanks.
The UST-LUST Branch is organized into two programs: Underground Storage Tanks (UST) and Leaking Underground Storage Tanks (LUST).
See the Resources for Businesses section for information on:
- Documents, Permits, and Certification
- Reporting UST Facilities and Activities
- Training Requirements for Owners and Operators of USTs
- Delivery Prohibition Guidance
- Recommended Practices for Operation and Maintenance of UST [PDF]
- UST Services
- Definitions and Acronyms [PDF]
- UST Frequently Asked Questions
- Public Records [PDF]
- Underground Storage Tank (UST) Laws and Regulations
- Voluntary Remediation Action Program (VRAP)